WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100

5 posters

Go down

How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 Empty How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100

Post by Ocean 2013-01-16, 23:47

Joking around with Conjurer over a couple PM's, I decided to do this with his concept.

How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 Fuzzy-tv
The man on TV told to!!!

Part one of the series is the Android Powerjet 9100 it has the newer 9100 Miyota movement is the reason I pick it to start.

How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCN3958_zpsfd553af1

In this series I plan on buying and mostly borrowing what they sell on TV. I going to try to stay in 100-300 range. Android is a brand I have never owned so this was a first for me. I had heard that Wing made a decent product. Let me start with the movement which to be honest was the best part of the watch it kept good time +2 seconds in 24hours. The 9100 has day, date, month and power reserve which worked pretty well. Miyota has been gaining ground with the 9000 series movement and is starting to be used in a lot of watches that used ETA movements.

We all talk about fit and finish on watches. This one area that could have used a lot more attention. The edges seemed like they just came out of the C&C. Polish and brushed areas needed to be finished better. This takes me to the crown which to be honest was the biggest pile of smoking dog shit I have ever seen. It has a screw down crown no big deal pull on it and I thought it the stem was about to pop off.
How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCN3963_zps8380c0ed
How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCN3960_zps5b251a9e

Then you come to the size. Let me start by saying I have an 8 1/4" wrist and that I stay under 48mm. This watch is a few mm over my size limit at 50mm. The thing with large watches that I don't understand is the thickness. The Powerjet comes in at a whopping 19mm which is almost 3/4 of an inch thick. To anyone that says this isn't a Clown watch look at the pics and honestly tell me that it looks good, I bet you can't.

How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCN3964_zpsc91a44cb
How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCN3965_zpsf0227887
How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCN3966_zps83f4c651How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCN3967_zps9ebf2ed5

Conclusions for Part 1 for the Powerjet 9100
Movement was the best part of the whole watch.
Size only if it was 45 and 14mm.
Fit and Finish less than desirable.
How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCN3957_zps48c76e13

In conclusion lot of other TV watches that need some time to be gone over Part 2 coming soon.
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 Empty Re: How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100

Post by Mortuus 2013-01-17, 05:45

Very good, honest observations, O. I have a soft spot for Android, but the older I get, the less happy I am with (1) the weight and (2) the same hardened edges that you found so problematic. Every time I think Wing might be preparing to go back to his original - and very successful - business model, he comes out with an even bigger series of watches that leave me scratching my head.

The below Android - the new Vertigo 9015 - is on its way, but even it's got a 48mm case width and 14mm thickness...
How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 AndroidVert-s
...still, it features the new Japanese Miyota 9015 28800VPH Automatic Movement w/24 Jewels, which is probably as close as I'll ever get to a hi-beat...unless Andrew adopts me. What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 Empty Re: How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100

Post by DBCooper 2013-01-17, 10:21

The Junkers I posted in the WURW thread today has the Miyota 9100 in it. It's the only auto/mechanical I have that doesn't have an eta movement in it. I have to say it has performed as well, if not better than the eta's.
DBCooper
DBCooper
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by conjurer 2013-01-17, 12:06

Thanks for a great and perceptive review, John. Well done indeed.

I've only owned one of the new Miyota movements, which was unfortunately encased in the prison of a Smiths Everest watch. I was very impressed with the movement.

Supposedly Citizen designed the 9100 as a real tractor-movement, with future modules added on including (I've heard) a chronograph. To me, this looks like the Swiss have given up the moderately priced auto movement business.

The ETA 2824 and 2892--the gold standards in three-hand movements--are decades old. Sellita, which is supposedly filling the void with clones of the '24 as well as the 7750, isn't making anything new. The Claro, if it's still even in production, is a Chinese-based movement thats primitive compared to most anything out there.

When we look at what the Japanese have been doing in the last twenty years we see:

--Citizen developing Eco-Drive
--Citizen-Miyota bringing the 9100 series--a brand new architecture--to the market.
--Seiko--after twenty years of research--bringing SpringDrive to the market
--Seiko continues to develop new high-end column wheel chronographs.
--Seiko bringing out the new Astron, which uses GPS signals to automatically set the time, no matter where on earth the owner may be.
--Orient updating their manufacture movements to hand-wind and hack.
--Orient making a new hand-wind mechanical movement for the OS Dynamic as well as their new pocket watch line.
--Casio continues to develop and upgrade their digital modules; their G-shock line the preferred watch for military, law enforcement and hipsters because of their ability to stand up to anything short of a 7.62mm round.

The horological sun does indeed rise in the East.
conjurer
conjurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2013-01-17, 16:31

Excellent points, Conj. I find it highly ironic that the very same Swiss watch industry that very nearly died out due to a lack of innovation and a smug certainty that theirs was the superior product, now seems to be headed down that very same path for largely the same reasons. If the Swiss think they're immune from another round of painful bankruptcies, then they - like Detroit in the 1970s - have another think coming... Even the highly-vaunted, all-powerful Swatch Gruppenzie is not as bulletproof as they themselves may think. If you let your competitors define the market and do all of the innovating, the consumer soon forgets who you are - or were, as the case might be...

Either that, or they're embarking on a bold, brilliant marketing strategy that is the equivalent of the "New Coke" formula that Coca-Cola put forth nearly 30 years ago...oh, wait; nevermind...
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eddiea 2013-01-17, 16:47

I have two 9100 fitted watches (had 3 until recently) an Android and a Deep Blue.
I took the Android bracelet off on arrival and proceeded to install a Panatime strap, that seems to make a huge difference in confort, fit/finish is crude at best but close to shit, size and thickness are cartoonish as stated by John.
the 9100 family of movements are excellent , originally concieved to go against the ETA 2892 family,even within the ligne of the 2892's.
It is an excellent movement , well adjusted from factory and I bet, more reliable and durable.
How bad can it be??? TV edition Android powerjet 9100 DSCF0703

eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down