WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rolex and the recommended service dilemma....

4 posters

Go down

Rolex and the recommended service dilemma.... Empty Rolex and the recommended service dilemma....

Post by eddiea 2013-03-10, 15:50

Recently, we were talking here about the importance of regular servicing of mechanical watches in general ...mileage may vary for some.
Personally it is something high up in my decision, when the time comes to blow a significate amount of money.
Here is a nugget specifically on the Rolex caliber 3135 (but applicable to about every mechanical/auto out there) on what can go wrong, for lack of recommended service in relatively short time ....enjoy it!
http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/andrewb/3135/3135_1.htm
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Rolex and the recommended service dilemma.... Empty Re: Rolex and the recommended service dilemma....

Post by Mortuus 2013-03-10, 18:39

Good article! Most of the time, in a technical piece such as this one, the writing is so poor that only other techies will get a sense of what it's saying. The author of this particular item did an excellent job of explaining and diagramming, thus creating a technically-oriented but still easy-to-read bit of writing. Thanks for posting! What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Rolex and the recommended service dilemma.... Empty Re: Rolex and the recommended service dilemma....

Post by 3flushes 2013-03-11, 04:48

I never have understood the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" crowd. I've seen recommendations of 7-8 year service intervals for mechanical and auto movements routinely on watch boards.There's a great deal of wear cookin' before it obviates itself in the movements' poor time keeping. Really nicely illustrated article that makes the value of proper service intervals clear. Great read-popped it into my library.
3flushes
3flushes

Back to top Go down

Post by Hater 2013-03-11, 08:56

Nice article.
I subscribe to the "if it aint broke" crowd.
Almost all of my watches are ETA based so replacement parts are readily available. If by chance the movement becomes unfixable, I will either purchase a new movement or simply yard one out of a watch that gets no use.

Hater
Hater
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eddiea 2013-03-11, 10:00

Hater wrote:Nice article.
I subscribe to the "if it aint broke" crowd.
Almost all of my watches are ETA based so replacement parts are readily available. If by chance the movement becomes unfixable, I will either purchase a new movement or simply yard one out of a watch that gets no use.
Notice that I said ....
"Personally it is something high up in my decision, when the time comes to blow a significate amount of money"
Beaters and others notwithstanding......
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Post by Hater 2013-03-11, 14:37

3flushes wrote:I never have understood the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" crowd.

With you Eddie (I think).

Was simply responding to the above post about what I perceived as a need to send watches in for service on a time schedule.

Nope, even for my pricier watches, I run them until they drop before I send them in for the full spa treatment. They stop running or can't regulate time; off they go for repair, lube, oil, filter and tire rotation.

Hater
Hater
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 3flushes 2013-03-11, 15:53

Hater wrote:
3flushes wrote:I never have understood the "if it aint broke, don't fix it" crowd.

With you Eddie (I think).

Was simply responding to the above post about what I perceived as a need to send watches in for service on a time schedule.

Nope, even for my pricier watches, I run them until they drop before I send them in for the full spa treatment. They stop running or can't regulate time; off they go for repair, lube, oil, filter and tire rotation.

Different strokes... and if your collection is modern and parts readily and cheaply available, I can certainly see your point of view. One thing I can tell you that I never do is send a watch to the manufacturer for service; I have an excellent master watchmaker who takes care of 'em really nicely for me for less than half of what the typical factory charges.
3flushes
3flushes

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2013-03-11, 22:48

3flushes wrote:One thing I can tell you that I never do is send a watch to the manufacturer for service; I have an excellent master watchmaker who takes care of 'em really nicely for me for less than half of what the typical factory charges.
A very good point to ponder, 3F. Like you, I have an amazingly talented Watchmaker with whom I feel very comfortable leaving my watches. He does superb work and doesn't turn his nose up if I bring in a Magico, an Invicta or a Jacot for servicing. Bottom line, he keeps all my mechanical and automatic watches humming right along...or, in the case of my Valjoux 7750's, he keeps 'em wobbling along sweetly. bounce

Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down