WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD

+4
fatman
mrneddles
Maestro
DBCooper
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD - Page 2 Empty Re: The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD

Post by mrneddles 2012-05-04, 10:59

A few thoughts, do with them as you all see fit.

First, there is a fine line between someone with healthy enthusiasm and a "fan boy", someone who is a jocular ball buster and bully etc.

Anytime a large enough group is gathered, there will be a spectrum of all such personality types, it is human nature.

Third, when someone seems to over-react towards an issue (negatively or positively), it usually is not the issue at hand, but something else even deeper going on that is underlying and driving the over-reaction.

I would only ask that everyone gives this a moment of thought before this thread spins out of control.

mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD - Page 2 Empty Re: The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-04, 14:41

Tinman1965 wrote:
Mortuus wrote: Of course, I keep coming back to the way Avi "handled" the mini-controversy of supposed trolls from WL stirring the pot on RG. Ultimately, she took the mongo-like course of indiscriminately banning a number of "suspicious" members, including our very own Fearless Leader ( What a Face ), Mrneds.

Hi Mortus - Avi didn't ban anyone but spammers. There was a glitch in the system that unfortunately ended up banning a few people for whatever reason. Prior to me taking the moderator job there, Koi had told me mrneddles was banned and then I had corresponded with mrneddles about it. When I mentioned it to Avi she told me to immediately take the ban off as it was a glitch. I had just "unbanned" mrneddles right before the forum ended up shutting down.

What you see as their reason for shutting down is for the most part accurate but it was also due to the amount of time it was going to take to get the forum up and running to where it should have been and building up a fan base. MZB was the final decision maker in closing down the forum as it was their forum.

Thanks, Tinman; your response makes sense, though the timing of MrNed's restoration is rather unfortunate for all concerned. Thanks! Wink
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hater 2012-05-04, 20:57

Stormchaser wrote:I'm seeing a lot of negativity toward members of other forums. I can understand six2twelve, but why the hate for the other guys?
Please point out the hate above??? Just because someone doesn't want to do the social thing with certain people doesn't mean that person is spewing hatred. The group hug thing isn't for everyone, but happy you favor them.
I never saw anything on the RG forum that would warrant such.
Warrant what?
Maybe I'm ill-informed. That is possible. Can someone enlighten me? Probably not (the forum died for the second time) and for the record, I'm still laughing my ass off over that.
I'm trying to look at things objectively and not jump on any sort of "I hate those guys or I hate this" mentality. Excellent, that is always the best route to take.

We're supposed to be "Fair and Even". Right? Says who??
I'll light a fire so everyone that wants to can roast marshmallows and sing Kumbaya. Fortunately I can't make it but will get the fire going all the same.

And again, please take some time and read through this post and point out the hatred.

Smores anyone??

Hater
Hater
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-04, 22:32

Hater wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:I'm seeing a lot of negativity toward members of other forums. I can understand six2twelve, but why the hate for the other guys?
Please point out the hate above??? Just because someone doesn't want to do the social thing with certain people doesn't mean that person is spewing hatred. The group hug thing isn't for everyone, but happy you favor them.
I never saw anything on the RG forum that would warrant such.
Warrant what?
Maybe I'm ill-informed. That is possible. Can someone enlighten me? Probably not (the forum died for the second time) and for the record, I'm still laughing my ass off over that.
I'm trying to look at things objectively and not jump on any sort of "I hate those guys or I hate this" mentality. Excellent, that is always the best route to take.

We're supposed to be "Fair and Even". Right? Says who??
I'll light a fire so everyone that wants to can roast marshmallows and sing Kumbaya. Fortunately I can't make it but will get the fire going all the same.

Maybe "hate" was the wrong word. Extreme or unwarranted criticism might have been more appropriate. I just don't understand it is all. I'm not suggesting we sing kumbaya and hold hands, I'm just wondering why there seems to be such animosity between groups.
This is what I dislike about forums and some social interactions. People take things a little too seriously and it leaves others scratching their heads wondering why people get so emotional about things.
I've tried to always steer clear of such nonsense, personally. It doesn't really accomplish anything and I don't care for bandwagons.

As for who said things should be "fair and even", that was Neddles., the Admin.

And why exactly are you "laughing your ass off" that the RG forum went down? Why would that be funny? I'm not being facetious, I simply don't understand the statement. Is there something I'm missing? Were you wronged there by someone? Did Avi ban you? I'm genuinely curious.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hater 2012-05-05, 08:35

Stormchaser wrote:And why exactly are you "laughing your ass off" that the RG forum went down?

As a founding member a RenatoGeeks, I watched the fanbois shout down anyone whom didn't walk in lockstep with their views, all in the name of protecting "their" forum.
The numerous posts by many members begging/pleading/demanding that others get banned just because some members didn't care for the juice that was being offered by others. For that I laughed when RG-I shutdown.

RG part deux; New and improved version, had some hope until the same bois started back in again. Even had members requesting other members leave RG-II to join their bookface club. <------- Funny.
It is mho that in the name of "saving" their forum, the bois yet again assisted in boarding up the windows for good (I find that hilarious because of history repeating itself).

Since you were a member at RG (non members couldn't read content on that forum), I find your questions a bit Trollish.

This forum and the loose moderation makes this true watch forum 100X better that the now defunct pos sales forum formerly known as RG. I believe this forum will remain great as long as geekish members don't act geeky.

Now can you explain to me what the "be fair and even" portion of the Terms of Service is in your opinion and how that wasn't reflected in this thread?
Personally I am partial to the "Put on your big boy pants when you come here" portion of the TOS.

And for the record- I personally don't care for Renato watches (too large and gaudy) or the company (sleazy marketing and a host of other documented crap). If you are wondering why am I here;
-To read discussions in the General Watch Topics forums
-Respect for the Moderator
-Respect for some of the members (despite having no interest in their choice of watches).
-The great format of loose moderation
-I wear big boy pants.

So again, what wasn't "fair and even" in this thread???

Last edited by Hater on 2012-05-06, 02:31; edited 1 time in total
Hater
Hater
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman 2012-05-05, 10:57

Where is the smiley eating popcorn emoticon when you need him?

I just love that one.
fatman
fatman
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-05, 19:19

I didn't come here to argue or to get into some debate over forums, facebook or Renato. I just asked a few simple questions.

The "fair and even" issue I was referring to was what appeared to be a jab at members of RG and the FB page that, from my perspective, didn't deserve it. That's why I asked if I was missing something or if someone could enlighten me.

If you find fault in that, I can't help it. It was an honest question. Trust me, I wear big boy pants but choose not to deal with nonsense if I don't have to.

As for the "fanbois" as you put it, I saw just as much venom coming from both sides. So, to put blame on one side is disingenuous.

The fanbois didn't like the mocking and the "supposed" watchlords guys didn't like being told not to mock. It went both ways from what I saw. Six2twelve from the fanbois side and then there Eyal's Dog Mikey & you (Hater) pushing right back. It was FAR from one sided. I find it interesting you blame the fanbois for the demise of RG 1&2 and they blame you and a few others for the same demise.
Assumptions and perceptions... funny things they are. Being in the middle and watching it all was "educational". Shocked

I think Neddles said it best; when there's an overreaction, there's probably a deeper seeded issue.

Again, I didn't come here to argue or debate, just asking questions to get a better understanding of why people think the way they do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-05, 22:17

Stormchaser wrote: The "fair and even" issue I was referring to was what appeared to be a jab at members of RG and the FB page that, from my perspective, didn't deserve it. That's why I asked if I was missing something or if someone could enlighten me.

FWIW, mrneddles' use of that phrase, "fair and even," was in no way intended to be a put-down of RG or any other website; that's just not how his persona works. I guess it all comes down to how close you are to which side of the issue. I recall someone at CNN opining that Fox News' slogan, "Fair and Balanced," was a barely veiled attack on the older, more-established news organization that CNN was before Fox moved into its current position of dominance in the news industry. If you were a die-hard fan of CNN, this was an inherently believeable supposition. If you were a fan of the 'upstarts' at Fox, though, you no doubt thought that 'someone' was being a wee bit too sensitive. Who was right? Depends on who you ask... Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-05, 22:29

Good point Mortuus. I guess in the end, none of it really matters. I say we just enjoy what we have and ignore the idiots that piss us off. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-05, 23:30

Stormchaser wrote:Good point Mortuus. I guess in the end, none of it really matters. I say we just enjoy what we have and ignore the idiots that piss us off. Very Happy

Well said! And I'll do my 'doggonedest' to try.... What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2