WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade

3 posters

Go down

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade Empty An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade

Post by Mortuus 2013-04-19, 00:45

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 021-7_zps945cd312

Mrs Mort and I are avid fans of local thrift stores, estate sales and even rummage sales. We often come away with nothing, but that's all just a part of the game. Occasionally, though, we come across an amazing item at a price that tweaks our respective consciences. This Eska watch, found back in 2000 at an estate sale in Arlington, VA, was just such a find...and, conscience be damned, we plunked down the two quarters they were asking for and quickly made our way home.

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 023-3_zps1bdefa89

The first thing I noticed, almost at the same time as the intriguing dial color, was the very unusual "slinky bracelet," as we've come call it at Rancho de los Muertos. Some of you may have already seen this watch, as I've occasionally trotted out a picture or two, but there's no harm in posting a few more pre-upgrade shots for those who have yet to see this old gem...

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 012_zps17bd0638

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 008_zpscca7ad68

As much as I liked this odd little strap, it didn't really showcase the watch as well as it might, so I finally made the decision to "upgrade" the entire piece. In the Mortuus lexicon, "upgrade" means that you do as much for the watch as you can, up to but not including a complete restoration. In the case of this old Eska, the upgrade included the following:

- Obtain appropriate new bracelet / strap.
- Have my Watchmaker open her up, assess the movement's condition, and...
- If the innards are all there, perform cleaning & oiling as needed.
- Gently buff the plastic crystal.
- Clean & polish case and case back.
- Install new bracelet.

Here's the last of my BEFORE shots:

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 013_zps8fd2a692

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 031-5_zps7461e76e

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 020-2_zpse1529641

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 033-3_zps991b306a

Of course, the whole time I'm awaiting the return of this watch, I'm wondering just what kind of strap or bracelet I should put on it. As I was preparing to ask my friends for their suggestions, eddiea, having seen the watch before, suggested that I go with a Bund strap. A Bund strap...? I checked Google's images and was immediately impressed with what I saw, so I picked up a Bund strap from, of all things, a leathersmith in Russia. When it arrived at Rancho de los Muertos, I immediately compared it with the color of my Eska's dial.

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 030-4_zpse657363f

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 027_zps704d2176

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 024-2_zps83d0b203

Not too bad a match-up for an old grey falcon...well, I thought it looked pretty good, anyhow.

Here are the After Pictures:

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 015_zps3d1c6e4e

Wow, you can actually read the info on the dial...

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 018-8_zpsb6294893

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 022_zps7220f706

Old Mort even gets to showoff some of his 30+ year-old Nasal Radiator gear...

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 031_zpsa3a42b55

Above: my first goatskin flight jacket, issued to me at Pensacola about 32 years ago...and, Below: my first Nomex (c) flight jacket during the first Gulf War, AKA 'Desert Storm.'

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 033_zpsd4ab3035

As you've no doubt noticed during the course of this 'pictorial essay,' an 'upgrade' of this type did not remove the verdigris from under the lugs and, to a lesser extent, under the case. Nor did it address the missing, flaking and dulled chrome on the case. But fear not, Brother (and, where applicable, Sister) watch mavens...I'm in the process of consulting with a local metallurgist, who does lots of chroming, and things are really looking up for my half-restored little Eska watch.

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 015-11_zps8569a922]

As always, many thanks for looking, and have a great day...

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade 032_zpsb0f20297

...and thanks also to eddiea.

//Mort Out//
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade Empty Re: An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade

Post by kahuna74 2013-04-19, 07:11

Looks really good mort. My old 1939 pilots watch I had re-chromed came out pretty good and wasn't a lot of money.
kahuna74
kahuna74

Back to top Go down

An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade Empty Re: An Old, Dusty Eska Gets a Much-Needed Upgrade

Post by Mortuus 2013-04-19, 07:42

Many thanks, K! That's good news about the plating, too...I'll keep all my fingers crossed... What a Face
kahuna74 wrote:Looks really good mort. My old 1939 pilots watch I had re-chromed came out pretty good and wasn't a lot of money.
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eddiea 2013-04-19, 07:48

Is just a perfect strap for the watch ...actually, it looks custom made for the dial!
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2013-04-19, 07:53

eddiea wrote:Is just a perfect strap for the watch ...actually, it looks custom made for the dial!
I had the exact same thought, both before and after ordering from my Russian comrade...and when it got here, I couldn't have been happier. What a Face Thanks again for your help!
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum