WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Orient Sun and Moon

+2
mrneddles
Ocean
6 posters

Go down

Orient Sun and Moon  Empty Orient Sun and Moon

Post by Ocean 2012-08-22, 15:18

From Mark Kim Orient Watch USA

Introducing the Sun and Moon. It features a day and date indicators as well as a sun and moon indicator. And at around 44mm, its the perfect size for any occasion.
Orient Sun and Moon  375801_492558447422164_199410089_n
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

Orient Sun and Moon  Empty Re: Orient Sun and Moon

Post by mrneddles 2012-08-22, 15:26

Pretty interesting looking watch. But 44mm is not the perfect size for any occasion, that is watchgeek-speak.
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AJC 2012-08-22, 15:29

I love it, except for the size...
40mm please, and i'll buyz.
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-08-22, 21:29

mrneddles wrote:Pretty interesting looking watch. But 44mm is not the perfect size for any occasion, that is watchgeek-speak.
Really? For those unlucky enough to have larger wrists (8"+), that 44mm case can provide a nice balance in terms of both appearance and 'feel,' especially in a watch as thin as this Orient appears to be.

Beyond that, there are a large number of collectors who will tell you that 44mm is their personal 'sweet spot.' Is that also geekspeak? I'm certainly no WIS - and probably never will be - but dismissing Ocean's statement as "watchgeek-speak" strikes me as a rather indiscriminate use of an unnecesarily large broad-brush... Suspect

(Jeebus, I'm getting to be as verbose as lord foolstaff...)
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ocean 2012-08-22, 21:42

Mort that was Orients statement. I have an 8 1/4 inch wrist. I find that anything over 46mm is too big. I have gone back to 36 to 46mm, with my sweet spot at 38-42mm. It makes a more comfortable fit and feel.
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by aztecknight 2012-08-22, 21:53

Sorry Mr. Mortuus, I have to agree with Neddles on this one. A dress watch by most accounts should be subtle. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Just because it feels good doesn't mean it looks good. Finally there are probably just as many watch collectors who will tell you that their sweet spot is 52mm and that anything smaller looks tiny and doesn't feel right, as there are of those who feel 44mm is their sweet spot. If one has to argue, I wear what I like and feels right to me and don't give a shit what anyone thinks, then you probably already know that you're going against the norm. I like tuxedo shirts and they are comfortable as hell, does that mean I should wear one to a black tie affair... probably not.

Don't get me wrong, there are times and places for 44mm watches, just not for every occasion.

aztecknight

Back to top Go down

Post by aztecknight 2012-08-22, 21:55

Ocean wrote:Mort that was Orients statement. I have an 8 1/4 inch wrist. I find that anything over 46mm is too big. I have gone back to 36 to 46mm, with my sweet spot at 38-42mm. It makes a more comfortable fit and feel.

I have pretty much an 8" wrist and anything above 44mm looks pretty damn big. Hell I now have a 34mm watch in my collection that looks pretty good and will make a nice dress watch.

aztecknight

Back to top Go down

Post by mrneddles 2012-08-22, 22:04

Ocean wrote:Mort that was Orients statement. I have an 8 1/4 inch wrist. I find that anything over 46mm is too big. I have gone back to 36 to 46mm, with my sweet spot at 38-42mm. It makes a more comfortable fit and feel.

Yes. I was dismissing the marketing statement by Orient not Ocean. If I could edit the copy it would say "perfect for ALMOST any occasion".

What makes me bristle, whether justified or not, is the mentality of WGeekdom which has attempts to portray 45mm as "Midsized" and a 65mm Invicta Sea Crab as anything but ridiculous. The statement by Orient rubbed me the same way.

But back to the watch, I do enjoy the cream dial offset with those deep blue hands. A day/night, day of the week, and date complication on an in-house automatic is no small feat.
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by aztecknight 2012-08-22, 22:06

I dislike the color of the hands, unlikely to be blued.

aztecknight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-08-22, 22:49

Ocean wrote:Mort that was Orients statement.
Yeah, I can see that now, as it's not your usual practice to write statements like "perfect for any occasion." Embarassed
Ocean wrote:I have an 8 1/4 inch wrist. I find that anything over 46mm is too big. I have gone back to 36 to 46mm, with my sweet spot at 38-42mm. It makes a more comfortable fit and feel.
I have a 7 1/2" wrist myself, and I'm finding myself more and more comfortable with the 38-41mm range, and less and less comfortable with anything over 47mm, due in large part for my undying enjoyment of my invicta grand divers (and their VJ7750 pro divers which, coincidentally, are also 47mm). This is getting increasingly problematic, given the size of the vast majority of my Renato collection, but tastes do change, even for us in the WI (Watch Imbecile - I like this term far better than the pejorative 'geek') crowd.

As to the rest of it, I'm still stinging over a very uncalled-for, very personal rebuke at "another website" last month, so perhaps I'm a bit over-sensitive to any type of labeling or name-calling, even when it's not directed toward me. If you - and most-especially Neds - were in any way offended by my previous post, please accept my sincerest personal apologies.

OBTW, I really like that Sun & Moon and have officially added it to my WILL (Watch Imbecile Lust List Very Happy ).

Mort OUT.
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by conjurer 2012-08-22, 23:08

I like it apart from the sun/moon indicator. Sun/moon indicators make me want to fucking puke.
conjurer
conjurer

Back to top Go down

Post by AJC 2012-08-23, 08:15

I really wish I didn't have the wrists of a prepubescent girl. It pretty much rules anything over 43mm out for me.
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ocean 2012-08-23, 08:33

Mort, also remember that watches also wear different than actual size. Take an Oris TT1 47mm wears more like a 44mm, take a Junghans Max Bill is 40mm wears larger due to no bezel. Now take Aztecknight's 34mm put it on a tapered strap and it will look larger.

Now back to the Orient it' as Mrneddles pointed out it is prefect for ALMOST any occasion. I like that better myself. The Sun and moon indicator due nothing for me and seem like a waste to me.
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down