WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Monster

5 posters

Go down

The Last Monster Empty The Last Monster

Post by conjurer 2012-10-04, 22:00

As most of us already know, Seiko has redesigned the venerable Orange Monster. After owning and letting go of three of them, I finally got one of the old models from Long Island Watches, because I've always loved the design, and I don't overly care for the new models.

I thought it might be fun to shoot a few pics of it this evening; one of the great things of living in the Pacific Northwest, other than the coffee and the Birkenstocks, is the late summer raking sunlight you can get just before sunset. A few of the pics came out all right, I hope:

The Last Monster 002pb

The Last Monster 003ctc

The Last Monster 004ihm

The Last Monster 005jzk

The Last Monster 006qfr

The Last Monster 007xnm

The Last Monster 008ros

The Last Monster 010rzf
conjurer
conjurer

Back to top Go down

The Last Monster Empty Re: The Last Monster

Post by AJC 2012-10-04, 23:29

Orange monsters are ghey
*looks down at wrist*
ah shit...
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Post by conjurer 2012-10-05, 00:32

The Seiko Monster's a piece of crap, and anyone who buys one is a dick!
conjurer
conjurer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddiea 2012-10-05, 04:42

Mine
The Last Monster DSCF0296
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Post by bigedsurf 2012-10-05, 05:00

Hi....Dick here......

Photobucket
bigedsurf
bigedsurf
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by mrneddles 2012-10-05, 06:32

Very nice pictures Conjurer. I could never bond with the orange in the monster I had, but your pics make me reconsider the relationship. Great all around watch.
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by conjurer 2012-10-05, 11:09

mrneddles wrote:Very nice pictures Conjurer. I could never bond with the orange in the monster I had, but your pics make me reconsider the relationship. Great all around watch.

Thanks, Doc, and nice pics from Ed and Eddie as well.

There's been so much written on the interwebz regarding the OM that whatever I say is going to be redundant, but neddles is quite correct in it being a great all around watch. It's one of the very few automatic dive watches released in the last ten years that doesn't look like a Rolex sub; it's cheap (around $200), can take a beating, and is ISO compliant with dive watch standards.

On the negative side of things, the Monster is not very accurate (at least, none I've had have been, and I've owned more than most) and the 7S movement is non-hacking and non-hand-windable. The crystal is mineral, the bracelet is a pain-in-the-ass to size, and the styling is not for everyone.
conjurer
conjurer

Back to top Go down

Post by eddiea 2012-10-05, 13:23

conjurer wrote:
mrneddles wrote:Very nice pictures Conjurer. I could never bond with the orange in the monster I had, but your pics make me reconsider the relationship. Great all around watch.

On the negative side of things, the Monster is not very accurate (at least, none I've had have been, and I've owned more than most)
That's probably the only factor that prevented me from get a Black one...I know for a fact that it have nothing to do with the 7S26 movement .
This is y second OM, the first one was a gift so I gave the watch the benefit of the doubt, could have been mistreated, mishandled or abused? didn't know.
This one (on the pic) I got it brand new and showed the same problem, when one step further and had the watch regulated ($70) and voila! timekeeping improved to a decent 8 seconds fast/day .......for about 90 days Sad then when happily back to the original 25/30 seconds fast/day..wasted my money.
No sure why ? because they are a Malaysia made specs unique 7S26?...no clue.
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Post by conjurer 2012-10-05, 15:13

eddiea wrote:
conjurer wrote:

On the negative side of things, the Monster is not very accurate (at least, none I've had have been, and I've owned more than most)
That's probably the only factor that prevented me from get a Black one...I know for a fact that it have nothing to do with the 7S26 movement .
This is y second OM, the first one was a gift so I gave the watch the benefit of the doubt, could have been mistreated, mishandled or abused? didn't know.
This one (on the pic) I got it brand new and showed the same problem, when one step further and had the watch regulated ($70) and voila! timekeeping improved to a decent 8 seconds fast/day .......for about 90 days Sad then when happily back to the original 25/30 seconds fast/day..wasted my money.
No sure why ? because they are a Malaysia made specs unique 7S26?...no clue.

This could be the case, Eddie. Interestingly, while one hears story after story about the inaccuracy of the Monster, this isn't necessarily the case for the Seiko 5 line, which uses the same movement. Many of these 5's are often absurdly cheap, sometimes available for around $60-70. Of course, they offer very poor bracelets and simple cases, while the Monster has a quite complex case and a half-way decent bracelet.

I'd posit that the Monster, which wholesale price has to be well south of $100, is so expensive to make that Seiko doesn't overly worry about the regulation of the movements to save a few bucks. This is, of course, merely a supposition on my part.
conjurer
conjurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down