WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New from Android: the 'Millipede'

4 posters

Go down

New from Android: the 'Millipede' Empty New from Android: the 'Millipede'

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-06, 17:16

The New Android 'MILLIPEDE'

Note: this review was initially posted to a different website, but I didn't see any reason to not bring it 'over here', as well; after all, the author goes by the same name at both places ( What a Face ). I hope you find it entertaining, and remember: comments are always welcome...Lubus del Goatus...!

New from Android: the 'Millipede' 003

So-named because of the appearance of the bracelet, which looks somewhat like a multi-legged arthropodal crawler of the same name. (Did you know that there are more than 7000 species worldwide of these little boogers? Neither did I...) This watch is pure Android, with an industrial look that easily identifies its maker, even if they hadn't bothered putting the name on the dial. Here are the basic stats:

Bracelet: Stainless Steel with 'Dual-Crowned Thumb Screw' Pins
Movement: Swiss Parts ISA 8171/202 Quartz Chronograph w/ 3 Jewels
Subdials: Seconds Subdial at 2:00, Date Subdial above 6:00, and
30-minute Subdial at 10:00
Crystal: Mineral, Beveled Edge
Crown: Screw Down w/ Function Pushers
Bezel: Unidirectional, 120-click Ratcheting
Clasp: Scissor-Style Fold-Over with Diver Lock
Bracelet Measurements: 9" L x 30mm W
Case Measurements: 50mm
Case Thickness: 19mm
Weight (After Sizing): 250 Grams
Case Back: Screw-On
Water Resistance: 50 ATM - 500 meters - 1650 feet
Lume: Superluminova Hour Markers, Divers Scale Bezel & Logo on Top of
Crown

The face looks pretty straightforward and relatively clean for a chrono. Although the 'turquoise' color of the hour markers, hands and subdial frames give the impression of a light blue dial, especially when looking at the watch head on and using the camera's flash attachment, the true color is more of a matte gray when shot from an angle. The actual color match between the face and the stainless steel of the rest of the watch are close enough that you might be tempted to think they were one and the same material; had the dial been done in a 'sunburst' finish, it wouldn't look nearly as good.

New from Android: the 'Millipede' 015
New from Android: the 'Millipede' 016
New from Android: the 'Millipede' 011

My only disappointment with the dial is the use of a 'date subdial' at six o'clock instead of a date window and cyclops somewhere else. This is less a stylistic issue than it is one of practicality for these 50+ year-old eyes. Of course, having praised the dial's relative cleanliness, I recognize that a change of this type would certainly detract from that. Nonetheless, if I'm going to have a date function at all, I'd prefer it be one that I can actually use instead of just talk about. confused

New from Android: the 'Millipede' 018

Not much to say about the caseback, other than the fact that it's screw-down and has the usual Android markings. One thing I will say about it is that I recall a number of WIS were incensed at the fact that Android put an email address (info@Android-USA.com) on their caseback. Well, appropos of nothing and for whatever it's worth, they're still doing this.

New from Android: the 'Millipede' 002
Left: Android 'Silverjet Diver 45' - Right: Android 'Millipede'

The case itself features a new design from Android. Unlike its Silverjet 'cousins,' with their strong resemblance to Invicta's 'over-engineered' Akula case (see comparison photo above), the Millipede sports a case that is far more solid in appearance and feel. There are a pair of deep horizontal lines cut into both sides, thus giving it a look that is somewhat remeniscent of three-piece 'sandwich-style' construction. (I say 'somewhat' because only the most myopic of wearers would think it's an actual triple-layered case.) It looks good on what would otherwise be a rather plain - even boring - smooth-sided case. It also serves to nicely frame the crown and pushers on the right side of the dial. Add to this a 120-click, unidirectional bezel and a pair of very sturdy solid, center endlinks, and you have a case that is both functional and attractive.

New from Android: the 'Millipede' 021
New from Android: the 'Millipede' 012
(Note the beveling on the crystal in both of the above photos)

And then there's the inspiration for the name of this unusual-looking watch. The 'Millipede links' look almost like they could be of four- or five-piece construction, but each one is actually a large, heavily machined piece that makes use of the connector pins to give it a multi-dimensional appearance. The pins themselves have what look like small watch crowns on either end, and they can be hand-turned in order to loosen and remove them when sizing the bracelet. These three components - the links, pins and pin 'crowns' - give the bracelet its signature industry-meets-arthropod look that inspires its nom de guerre.

New from Android: the 'Millipede' 019
New from Android: the 'Millipede' 009
New from Android: the 'Millipede' 039

Finally, there's the lume, its raison d'ĂȘtre, er, if you will... Android doesn't spare the Superluminova in this latest of its 'lumed-up' watches. It will easily pass the Conjurer quick-glance-in-a-darkened-car test {(c) 2011}, even after ~15 minutes. It is incredibly bright, and I'm almost loathe to post the lume pix I have, as they can't even come close to doing justice to the real thing. Still, here goes...

New from Android: the 'Millipede' 032
New from Android: the 'Millipede' 031
New from Android: the 'Millipede' 033

The lumed crown is a nice touch, but it never achieves the same level of brightness as the bezel and dial characters. No reason why it should, though.

Bottom line: I genuinely like this watch, though it's most-assuredly not for everyone. Fit and finish are excellent, as is overall build quality. And while I pretty much avoid larger/heavier watches these days, this particular big Android is surprisingly comfortable and the appearance is attractive without the ubiquitous garishness one often sees in today's 'biggah-is-bettah' watchmaking environment.

New from Android: the 'Millipede' 001

Thanks for looking and Lubrico hircus!

Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

New from Android: the 'Millipede' Empty Re: New from Android: the 'Millipede'

Post by mrneddles 2012-05-06, 19:15

Enjoy that watch. I really like the color combo. I would love to try one after putting it on a 10% size diet.
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-06, 19:54

mrneddles wrote:Enjoy that watch. I really like the color combo. I would love to try one after putting it on a 10% size diet.

Understood completely in re the 10% size diet; it's a rare occasion indeed for me to go for the 48-52mm size range, but I'm glad I did in this particular situation. Still, having said all of that, it's going to be a long time before I go with this size again.

You might want to give Wing's Silverjet 45 series a look; it too has a couple of light blue versions, one of which features an entire dial in that color. Although it's not exactly Concord Delirium thin, it is a bit easier on the wrist than the Millipede.

Thanks for having a look at the review, 'Neds; thanks also for the new subject header. I really enjoy presenting my finds for others to see and comment upon. Very Happy
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-06, 22:19

I agree with Mortuus here in regards to this one being an exception to going large. I normally don't do anything above 48mm (46mm is my sweet spot), but this one is VERY well done and I very much enjoy how large it is.

Nice write-up Mortuus. I have this one in Orange and also the Tonneau case in all blue dial.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-07, 01:17

Stormchaser wrote:I agree with Mortuus here in regards to this one being an exception to going large. I normally don't do anything above 48mm (46mm is my sweet spot), but this one is VERY well done and I very much enjoy how large it is.

Nice write-up Mortuus. I have this one in Orange and also the Tonneau case in all blue dial.

Many thanks, Stormchaser. Please post some pictures of the above-mentioned watches when you get a chance. I really appreciate your feedback, not to mention your obvious enthusiasm for this great obsession we all share. What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bigedsurf 2012-05-07, 07:45

Well done Mort..........
bigedsurf
bigedsurf
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-07, 17:22

bigedsurf wrote:Well done Mort..........

Thanks, Ed! What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCooper 2012-05-07, 17:29

Thanks for the review Mort! Good job!
DBCooper
DBCooper
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-07, 20:09

DBCooper wrote:Thanks for the review Mort! Good job!

Many thanks, DB!
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down