WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch

2 posters

Go down

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch Empty Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch

Post by Mortuus 2013-06-29, 08:49

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch Fe554ade-b09c-4bbd-8fdc-44eab8aef424_zps857b0111

I’ve been on a bit of a buying spree in the last couple of weeks, but I like to think that this particular spree is a good one because I’ve been pretty much exclusively adding vintage pieces to the ‘ol collezioni.  Here’s one that has very rapidly become a favorite of mine, my new-to-me Movado HS360 watch.

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch DSCN69034_zpsc820c9d3

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch DSCN69123_zps97ce5379

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch DSCN69172_zps692e6d2d

Manufactured in the late 1960's, it was considered to be well ahead of its time. It’s powered by a Zenith high-beat (36,000 beats per hour) automatic movement, features a futuristic case design, and was considered to be a very large watch in its day (case measures 37.3mm across). At the time this watch was made, Movado was owned by Zenith, hence the movement’s unusual provenance. That aside, the movement is of extremely high quality and still runs great, though it hasn’t had any recent (within the last five years) servicing. (I do have it scheduled for mid-July, so let not your heart be troubled…)

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch Vint_Movdo_hibeat-3_zps29f51ca5

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch Vint_Movdo_hibeat-2_zpsa10555ad

The watch originally came with a black alligator or crocodile strap, but the original 'strappage' was long gone when I acquired this piece in early June.  The seller did provide an inexpensive leather strap, which I used while looking for and acquiring its current hardware, a NOS Speidel expansion bracelet with a very similar texture and coloring as the beautifully textured case and high-shine bezel.  The bracelet did require a little re-tooling, but in the end, the two ostensibly disparate components look amazing together.

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch Vint_Movdo_hibeat-brclt-2_zps8bde57db

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch Vint_Movdo_hibeat-brclt-1_zps8afeb1ba

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch DSCN69172_zps692e6d2d

Cost of Watch:   $299. USD
Cost of Bracelet: $ 39. USD
Owning a Vintage
Movado High-Beat
for Under $350: PRICELESS

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch DSCN69483_zpse406ad1f

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch DSCN69542_zps198f8ebd

Many thanks for dropping by…

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch DSCN69072_zps9f1e1688

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch DSCN69093_zpsc0212ae5
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch Empty Re: Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch

Post by AJC 2013-06-30, 09:50

GODDAMN! The more I look at this, the more I fall in love. Never let go of this one Mort!

PS- what kind of watch case is that? It looks intriguing.
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch Empty Re: Mort's "New" Vintage Movado High-Beat Watch

Post by Mortuus 2013-06-30, 14:47

AJC wrote:PS- what kind of watch case is that? It looks intriguing.
Thanks, Anthony...that case is actually a six-slot winder. It has two cylindrical rotating arms that hold three watches each. Each arm spins at different times, simulating the rolling motion of a person's wrist. Of course, like most watch winders, it doesn't really work, so I use it as a small display case for my favorite vintage pieces...
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down