WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!

3 posters

Go down

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  Empty A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!

Post by Mortuus 2013-10-16, 23:41

Dang, I wish I had a real talent for photography, because this bloody olde Elgin is just plain bloody-damned beautiful...  Okay, no long stories or family histoi' to go with this amazing watch; it was just a very nice presentation on eBay that caught my eye.  The seller had it listed with buy-it-now price of $75, along with a make-an-offer option.  There wasn't one thing wrong with the watch, according to the description and photos.  I had bought from this seller before, and he operates a substantial jewelry exchange, so I had no reason to doubt his word.  I offered $60 for the watch and, much to my surprise, he accepted.  (He even gave it an extra buffing before shipping it off to me...which definitely falls into the 'way kewl' category for this old greybeard.)  Here're the pix of a truly beautiful and unusual Elgin, circa 1957-1959.

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  DSCN81342_zps3fae73fe

Check out the unusual dial design; note also the difference in shading between the dial and bracelet.  I really like both of these features, as they really complement each other.  Hence, it's my opine that this watch and strap are original equipment.

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  DSCN81312_zpsfc777971

I really like the look and feel of the bracelmeshstrap...er, sorry 'bout that; too much dealing with the Germans and their impossibly long words, of late.  All kidding aside, it's a substantial, uber-kewl mesh strap, but the look of it is pure mid-20th century, when the Eames era was in full swing and old Mort was but a gleam in the old man's eyes...

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  DSCN81332_zps41a53975

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  DSCN81352_zpse5644596

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  DSCN81362_zpsd7d695c8

Take a look at the unusual way the strap is affixed to the case, using a pair of tabs - one on either side - to keep the connection nice and snug without sacrificing comfort, the way so-called "solid end-links" do.

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  DSCN81302_zpsa98ef194

My only complaint is the somewhat difficult-to-operate clasp.  Yes, it looks great on the wrist, but getting that clam-clasp to open can be a difficult proposition at times.  Still, it's a very small thing when compared to the rest of what this amazing watch has to offer.

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  DSCN81312_zpsfc777971

Many thanks for stopping by... What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  Empty Re: A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!

Post by wottime 2013-10-19, 16:27

Nice vintage pick up. Some classic character in that watch.
wottime
wottime

Back to top Go down

A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!  Empty Re: A Beautiful Old Elgin From a Time When an Elgin Was a Doggoned ELGIN...!

Post by Mortuus 2013-10-20, 15:19

Many thanks, eh-wotts! What a Face 
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by kahuna74 2013-10-22, 12:41

Very nice mort.
kahuna74
kahuna74

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2013-10-22, 15:20

Thanks, Big Kahuna! What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down