WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop?

5 posters

Go down

TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop? Empty TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop?

Post by Ocean 2012-05-30, 16:53

Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop? Empty Re: TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop?

Post by mrneddles 2012-05-30, 17:53

Maybe but Renatos current design direction, big and quartzy isn't helping.

http://www.shopnbc.com/SearchM/Default.aspx?page=LIST&free_text=renato
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop? Empty Re: TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop?

Post by mrneddles 2012-05-30, 19:57

The Vintage Beast, now swollen to 50mm, with tiny little hands Sad
TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop? 616-685?DefaultImage=1&$350x350_jpg$

The Calibre Robusto, one of my favorites, also now struggling with obesity at 50mm and given the ubiquitous quartz chrono Rolling Eyes
TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop? 616-687?DefaultImage=1&$350x350_jpg$

And what I suspect is the TTV, WildeBeast, also at a scale tipping 50mm, and a 35mm ladies version.
TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop? 616-505?DefaultImage=1&$350x350_jpg$
mrneddles
mrneddles

Back to top Go down

Post by mrneddles 2012-05-30, 20:04

I'm glad to see Renato 2.0 has answered the call for more reasonable case dimensions and more automatics Crying or Very sad

Enough giant quartz
TTV 6/3 But is the yellow cheese box going to kill Renato again on Shop? Giant_2_Rehealed
mrneddles
mrneddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Hater 2012-05-31, 07:12

mrneddles wrote:I'm glad to see Renato 2.0 has answered the call for more reasonable case dimensions and more automatics Crying or Very sad

Enough giant quartz

Totally agree mr n........

Quartz=cheap
50mm=horrendous
Hater
Hater
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-31, 09:24

I have to agree about the size issue. I love big, obnoxious watches. But, they should be the exception, and not the only choice. Nobody is impressed by them. Most people I know think that they are absurd. I have to work for a living, and I need timepieces that are more appropriate.

However, it is the prices that will kill Renato, and not just on ShopNBC. Too many people are getting a cut. They are selling a Mostro with a cheap quartz movement for the same price that I paid for one with a 7750. At those prices, there are just too many better options.

I am proud of my Renato collection but, if it doesn't increase, I'll be fine with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-06-01, 14:23

These are all very good points, gentlemen. I too see Renato going away yet again, but my guess, for what it's worth, is that they'll go out the same way that XOS has; a mere shadow of its former glory, offering cheaply made, kitschy watches that'll last about five minutes on the wrist...and about twenty months as a watch company. Anyone remember when Voit bought Harley-Davidson? I do, and it still makes me want to cry every time I recall those days...yeah, I know; Renato is no Harley! True enough, but MZB is no Voit, either... No
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hater 2012-06-01, 20:59

Maybe a blessing in disguise for you Mortus.
Quit buying them AMF watches already, and for gods sake get something with a f_cking kick start..... batteries are for whimps.
Hater
Hater
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-06-02, 15:46

Hater wrote:Maybe a blessing in disguise for you Mortus.
Quit buying them AMF watches already, and for gods sake get something with a f_cking kick start..... batteries are for whimps.

Well, I did have this beautiful custom Harley Heritage Softail...***SIGH***...but after sustaining a broken back and a 'shattered' left leg nearly eleven years ago, The Boss, AKA She Who Must Be Obeyed, AKA my better half, instructed me to sell it, asserting that I had no business being on a motorcycle anymore...I suppose she was right, but I sure miss that bike every single day since I said goodbye to it...Suspect
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by temerityb 2012-06-04, 12:31

After watching a little of the ShopNBC presentations from this past weekend, I can only guess that Renato isn't going to be around much longer at those price points. WIS know the score (made in China, "hand made" on the face, etc), they'll be too expensive for TV viewers, and boom, epic fail. It's not going to work; everything with Renato is stop/start (we have a website & blog, oops, no we don't; we're streaming, oops, no we aren't; we are making tourbillons, oops, no we can't).

Frankly, they should be catering to the women's market - after all, they were semi-endorsed in Oprah's magazine at one point, and there's pictures of her actually wearing one - but they never knew what to do with such a plaudit. In my experience, women love their designs in smaller case sizes a hell of a lot more than men gravitate to them, so what does Renato do? Come out with a big "new" line of men's stuff in bigger sizes than ever, and only two women's models.

A matter of months and you'll find their stuff at markdown stores like T.J. Maxx. I'd bet the ranch on it.
temerityb
temerityb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-06-04, 15:22

TemerityB wrote: A matter of months and you'll find their stuff at markdown stores like T.J. Maxx. I'd bet the ranch on it.

Unfortunately - or fortunately, depending on your view - I think your prediction is spot-on. That they - Shop & Renato - don't get this is just flabbergasting... As always, great post, TB! What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by temerityb 2012-06-05, 01:52

Mortuus wrote:
TemerityB wrote: A matter of months and you'll find their stuff at markdown stores like T.J. Maxx. I'd bet the ranch on it.

Unfortunately - or fortunately, depending on your view - I think your prediction is spot-on. That they - Shop & Renato - don't get this is just flabbergasting... As always, great post, TB! What a Face

Thanks, as always, but it certainly doesn't take much to look at the current Renato strategy and think "WTF." It's the most confused, muddled, center-less approach I've seen any business come up with in ages - the fact they really cheesed off about half their most loyal customers before the Berger takeover hasn't even been addressed, seemingly. I mean...raise prices...lower quality....neglect the fans that made you what you are/were..it's just brilliant, ain't it? As for me, I own two older models (one with a 2824) but I can't imagine buying another. I mean...they just repeat themselves over and over, which is strange for a brand with so many "limited editions," isn't it.
temerityb
temerityb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down