WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Las Vegas, a brief report...

3 posters

Go down

Las Vegas, a brief report... Empty Las Vegas, a brief report...

Post by mrneddles 2012-10-24, 14:12

Well, just got back from a fantastic trip to Vegas with the mrs. Over the course of 4 days, I wore the bottom of my shoes out walking around and watch window shopping. I have never been to Switzerland, but Vegas clearly ranks right next to if not above NYC as a watch lovers dream location here in the US. My wanderings took me by the following venues: Wynn Hotel, Forum Shops at Ceasar's Palace, Bellagio, Venetian, and Palazzo.

All the pictures are stolen from the web, as I didn't think it was very couth to be taking cell phone pictures of everything as I went along.

Below were the highlights of the trip for me.

Omega Planet Ocean 42mm and Z-33 at the Omega Boutique in Bellagio
Las Vegas, a brief report... 23230422101001-20
Las Vegas, a brief report... 32592437901002-20
I wanted to try on the PO and the SMP with black dial back to back, and in the end the PO was the clear winner for me. It just looks like a more serious watch, with the simple heavy bracelet. I loved the exhibition case back with the decorated rotor and in house movement. This will be my next expensive watch, maybe sometime in 2013.

I also had them pull out the Z-33 from a display. This watch is clearly not for everyone, but I really liked it. The titanium case, although 20cm tall, felt like nothing on the wrist. The impressive amount of functions, along with a cool lume and backlight function. The sticker was an eye popping almost 6K! What a Face My advice (to myself, which I rarely follow) would be to look for a nice Mark 2 or 3 on the vintage market.

Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Deepquest at Tourneau Time Dome
Las Vegas, a brief report... 142c8618b6ball
This watch looked like a beast, and was screaming at me with its 45mm monoblock titanium case. I so wanted to try it out, but generally if you say a word in a Tourneau they won't let you leave, so I passed. Maybe another day.

Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea Alarm at Roman Times
Las Vegas, a brief report... Jaeger-lecoultre-deep-sea-memovox-tribute
Tried on both models. Surprisingly, the "Deep Sea Alarm" American dial version on the left was my favorite of the two. In person, the extra writing on the dial does not detract from the simple beauty of the 41mm case and the vintage tan paint. This watch is a winner. That said, the Longines Heritage Diver is a fraction of the JL's $12K sticker, giving a very similar aesthetic.

Breitling MontBrillant 01 Limited Edition on Air Racer bracelet at the Breitling Boutique in Ceasars
Las Vegas, a brief report... Breitling-montbrillant-01-steel-limited-576
I have never been a Breitling kinda guy. I find most of their pieces too big and too over the top. This little guy (at 40mm) was tucked way in the back of the store. Understated vintage flair, even with the metal rally bracelet. I don't fly airplanes, and I can't begin to understand how to use the dial, but if I did, it would be mine.

Rolex Submariner Two Tone at Wynn Jeweler's Rolex boutique
Las Vegas, a brief report... 1341262526_407780288_6-ROLEX-SUBMARINER-CERAMIC-DATE-BLUE-PRONTA-ENTREGA-SEDEX-GRaTIS-BRASIL-Sao-Paulo
I have the older, hollow gold link version of this watch, which is my usual travel watch. So as it was on my wrist I had ample time to compare it with the upgraded new version. The new version has a slightly redesigned case, making it more substantial on the wrist without increasing diameter. The new version also has solid gold links and a redesigned, more solid clasp. The blue in the older version is more of a cobalt blue, whereas the new blue is more of a royal blue. The lighter shade of the royal blue gives it a bit more pop on the wrist, which historically I didn't care for, but it is growing on me.

So what did I come home with? Actually nothing for me. I was thinking I may do a trade in at Tourneau, however, I was informed that will only accept watches from brands they carry, so that idea was nixed. I also was thinking I would get an N.O.A. at Wynn, but they have dropped the brand and gone seriously upscale with their line up. My wife and I have actually hit a very important domestic milestone, so I thought we would reward the occasion with a new Rolex for her. She wanted a classic, timeless Rolex, so she settled on a DateJust two tone on jubilee bracelet, which I'm expecting via Fed Ex tomorrow.

Thanks for looking.
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

Las Vegas, a brief report... Empty Re: Las Vegas, a brief report...

Post by aztecknight 2012-10-24, 15:37

That Rolex gives me a boner.

aztecknight

Back to top Go down

Post by eddiea 2012-10-27, 19:46

Like the JLC.... European dial version of course, down to the vintage looking lume, a winner.
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-10-27, 22:48

Really digging the Ball and the JLCs (both versions). Good to hear you took care of mama this trip. I'm sure that'll give you some brownie points for later down the road. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down