WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Watch Lust... The RGM 801

5 posters

Go down

Watch Lust... The RGM 801 Empty Watch Lust... The RGM 801

Post by eddiea 2012-11-08, 05:36

Watch Lust... The RGM 801 801-300x300
Once upon a time, there were many American watch brands, like Elgin, Waltham, Hamilton, Benrus, Gruen and Bulova, that made their watches here in the United States. Some of these brands used Swiss ébauches, assembling them into American made cases, while others actually made their own in-house movements. Hamilton, Elgin, Waltham and Bulova, for example, all had their own calibers. But, times change and the watch industry in America diminished. These days, Elgin and Waltham are defunct, Hamilton is owned by Swatch and Citizen owns Bulova. While there are still many American brands, more popping up by the day, there is currently only one that manufacturers their own movements: RGM.
http://wornandwound.com/2012/05/16/watch-lust-the-rgm-801-line/
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Watch Lust... The RGM 801 Empty Re: Watch Lust... The RGM 801

Post by Mortuus 2012-11-08, 18:22

**Sigh** No ...for $7k - $10k, the vast majority of prospective buyers will want Rolex, et al. Desire for 'Made in the U.S.A.' labeling is one thing, as is patriotism, but for an American watch in that price range, there just doesn't seem to be, IMHO, a real, sustainable market...I do hope I'm completely wrong here... Question (Cue the balloons & flags, Smitty...) alien
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eddiea 2012-11-08, 20:10

Mortuus wrote:**Sigh** No ...for $7k - $10k, the vast majority of prospective buyers will want Rolex, et al. Desire for 'Made in the U.S.A.' labeling is one thing, as is patriotism, but for an American watch in that price range, there just doesn't seem to be, IMHO, a real, sustainable market...I do hope I'm completely wrong here... Question (Cue the balloons & flags, Smitty..
.) alien
Hard to tell if you are wrong or right, but the 801 is a totally different animal than the Rolie, made with something else in mind , stands on a different niche, you can't really compare them based solely on price bracket.
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Post by AJC 2012-11-08, 21:57

Watch Lust... The RGM 801 Guilloche

Beautiful dial work!
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Post by conjurer 2012-11-08, 22:43

eddiea wrote:
Mortuus wrote:**Sigh** No ...for $7k - $10k, the vast majority of prospective buyers will want Rolex, et al. Desire for 'Made in the U.S.A.' labeling is one thing, as is patriotism, but for an American watch in that price range, there just doesn't seem to be, IMHO, a real, sustainable market...I do hope I'm completely wrong here... Question (Cue the balloons & flags, Smitty..
.) alien
Hard to tell if you are wrong or right, but the 801 is a totally different animal than the Rolie, made with something else in mind , stands on a different niche, you can't really compare them based solely on price bracket.

True; RGM's are true handcrafted items, made for a very small niche of the market.
conjurer
conjurer

Back to top Go down

Post by Ocean 2012-11-09, 16:37

The do some special watches and they do have some in the lower price range of 4500-6500 for the model 222
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down