WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary

+2
mrneddles
aztecknight
6 posters

Go down

Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Empty Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary

Post by aztecknight 2013-01-06, 00:05

I've always wanted to try out tritium tubes, but Ball watches don't seem to do it for me and didn't want to spend the dough just to experiment. I found a really good deal on a Luminox and figured it could make for a great beater watch and I could try tritium on the cheap from a reputable company. This one I have seen referred to both Black Ops and the Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary.

Specifications

Article number: A.8815
Serie: BLACK OPS CARBON 8800 SERIES
Family: Land
Function: TimeDate
Movement (technology): Quartz
Size of case diameter (mm): 45.00
Case material: Carbon reinforced PC
Case Bezel: Rotating 1-Way Diver
Case Back: Caseback with Screws
Crown: Double-Security Gasket
Crystal/Glass material: Hardened Mineral
Water resistance (m/ft/atm): 200 / 600 / 20
Strap/Bracelet material: Rubber / Silicone / PU
Illumination: Night Vision Tubes (25 years)

This is a very light watch. Carbon reiforced polycarbonate case and bezel. The strap is some comination of rubber, silicone, and polyurethane according to the specs, all I know is that it's pretty comfortable. It has a 60 click bezel that clicks with authority and no play. The best part of course is the tritium. I was pleasantly surprised by the brightness and am convinced that this would pass the conjurer quick glance in a dark car test. In complete darkness this thing is very bright. I usually hate waking up in the middle of the night, but when this is on the dresser, I get a little pleasure looking at the tritium glowing. The tritium tubes are green, except for the 12 O'clock marker which is orange.

Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox8
Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox7
Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox9

Here's a close up of the pip which also has a tritium tube on it. The fact that its 200M WR is nice and I was surprised that it doesn't have a screw down crown.

Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox2
Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox

I like the color combination, and it's a nice size, definitely doesn't look like 45mm. I'm sure the weight and the fact that the bezel is big play a role in it feeling/looking smaller. I only wish the mineral crystal on this one had a little more AR on it, but it isn't bad.

Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox4
Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox3
Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox5
Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Luminox6

Get to the point

Pros: It's Swiss Made, Light, Tough, Tritium, Price
Cons: I'll try to come up with some

I haven't been able to take a pick of the tritium with my phone, as soon
as I get a good one, I'll post her up. All in all, I think it's a great deal. Thanks for looking.

aztecknight

Back to top Go down

Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Empty Re: Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary

Post by mrneddles 2013-01-06, 00:28

Thanks for the write up! Small point, but why isn't the buckle ip black to better match the case?
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary  Empty Re: Luminox Black Ops/Navy SEAL 20th Anniversary

Post by AJC 2013-01-06, 10:03

Nice pictures and review! I didn't know Luminox was so detailed.
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2013-01-06, 16:39

Good write-up & pix, AK; been looking at this one for a while, so I appreciate the review. That is a bit odd about the whole buckle vs case color issue, but that wouldn't necessarily be a show-stopper for me...
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by eddiea 2013-01-06, 19:54

Like it ...nice , can't warm up to Ball either.
eddiea
eddiea

Back to top Go down

Post by aztecknight 2013-01-06, 20:11

mrneddles wrote:Thanks for the write up! Small point, but why isn't the buckle ip black to better match the case?

Good point. Not really sure why, but I suspect its cheaper for Luminox this way. Not a big deal, but it would complete the package better.

aztecknight

Back to top Go down

Post by Ocean 2013-01-06, 20:51

Great write up, thanks. As for the buckle it might not be an oversight, I have had IP watches that the first and only place I scratch is the buckle. With SS it would be less noticeable and therefore would be better overall for me.
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by aztecknight 2013-01-08, 12:07

Ocean wrote:Great write up, thanks. As for the buckle it might not be an oversight, I have had IP watches that the first and only place I scratch is the buckle. With SS it would be less noticeable and therefore would be better overall for me.

Didn't consider this point of view. Makes sense.

aztecknight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down