WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak

+2
Okies
AJC
6 posters

Go down

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak Empty Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak

Post by AJC 2013-07-10, 11:54

Hamilton Pioneer Review 07.10.2013

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak Vxkt5mc

I’ve always loved the looks of marine chronometers and watches that resemble them in one way or another. The relatively recent release of the limited edition Hamilton Navy Pioneer was one that really peaked my interest.but the price was high. Hamilton then released a non LE version in 3 colors and I was in. I was torn between the silvery white dial with blued hands or the little bit different navy dial with highly polished steel hands, I ultimately opted for the blue dialed version.

An increase in living expenses has caused me to sell off watches to buy watches, I can’t really add to my collection without subtracting. So I started to sell, I believe 5, watches that I barely wore. With a bit of luck I came across the exact one I was looking for in nearly NIB condition, the plastic was still on the caseback and saved a substantial amount of money.

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak B069NPq

The first thing that I fell in love with is the beautiful dark tone of blue. It looks like an ocean and gives the dial great depth with help from the sloped chapter ring. A pretty simple dial is just my taste with accurate-to-the-period white arabic numerals and 3 polished marine chronometer hands is a good combination and is what has always drawn me to the look. Sapphire crystals are on either side with AR coating on the inside, I could have used a little more but that's my taste.

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak HMQtndm

A smooth dark chocolate brown strap with white stitching is attached to the wire lugs with typical spring bars that allow for easy strap changes. This was a worry of mine going in that I was glad to have relieved. At 40mm wide (43 with the crown) and 10mm thick it fits really well and is quite comfortable, the strap is strong and smooth and attaches with a Hamilton buckle, I think I’ll be keeping this option for a while.

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak LMzBFxu

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak 4L70Dws

The crown doesn’t screw down, I would have liked that, but it is attractive and quite large and easy to wind. It has a nice satiny brushed finish with a polished “H” symbol that pops out at you. The sides of the case offer a nice mix of brushed and polished finishes, kind of like an oreo cookie with the brushed finish cream. The bezel is pretty bad-ass with three rows of studs and a highly polished top that catches light like in this photo:

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak YGkkw8t

The movement is an ETA elaboree grade, which is the base model for the 289x calibers, 2895 which is a 2892 with the seconds hand moved to the 6 o’clock, nothing special. It does keep absolutely excellent time. The first 36 hours I had it (on my wrist except at night dial up) it only gained 3 seconds, THREE! So it’s my most accurate watch, that’s a plus, but the visual aspect is a negative. I guess it’s better than your standard 2824 but the lack of decoration. save for a light satin finish, left me saying, “Meh...”

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak FhWnb2F

Overall, I give this watch a 8/10 and that places it in the top spot in my collection at the moment.

Last edited by AJC on 2013-07-12, 09:28; edited 1 time in total
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak Empty Re: Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak

Post by Okies 2013-07-10, 18:30

That is very sharp!
Okies
Okies

Back to top Go down

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak Empty Re: Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak

Post by Mortuus 2013-07-10, 21:27

Awesome looking watch, Andrew! Great description of the color of the dial and the way the light hits the highly polished surfaces, and I agree with you about the bezel; it really is a bad-assed looking bezel. I didn't see any problems with the appearance of the movement, though. I've always liked the way they've "carved through" the rotor, as has been done here. Like you, though, I don't think problems with the way the movement looks through the exhibition is a show-stopper.

A very good read, and excellent pictures, BTW...!
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AJC 2013-07-11, 09:53

Okies wrote:That is very sharp!

Thanks!

Mortuus wrote:Awesome looking watch, Andrew!  Great description of the color of the dial and the way the light hits the highly polished surfaces, and I agree with you about the bezel; it really is a bad-assed looking bezel.  I didn't see any problems with the appearance of the movement, though.  I've always liked the way they've "carved through" the rotor, as has been done here.  Like you, though, I don't think problems with the way the movement looks through the exhibition is a show-stopper.

A very good read, and excellent pictures, BTW...!

I wanted to give both negatives and positives in this review and negatives were harder to come by. My last purchase from the Swatch group was the RADO D-Star 200, and while about $1,000 more retail, the decoration on the movement was a lot nicer. It had cotes de geneve striping on the rotor, circular perlage treatment on the base plates and very fine seashell-type stripes throughout. In comparison, while the movement in this Hamilton is much more accurate, the decoration is lacking.

Here are a couple pictures of the 2824 in the RADO for comparison.

Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak Img_2014
Hamilton Navy Pioneer Review - watchforums.net Sneak Peak Img_2015

The crappy photography doesn't show any of the detail, but you can see that it is decorated.
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Post by aztecknight 2013-07-11, 10:16

nice hammy

aztecknight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2013-07-11, 14:15

I absolutely get what you're saying about finding the +'s and -'s of a watch and laying them out in a review.  Our mutual buddy, Conjurer, once told me that it's harder to write a negative review than a positive write-up.  I find it to be just the opposite because I feel the need to look for at least one or two 'down-checks', even on a watch I absolutely love, all in the interest of maintaining objectivity.  My most recent review is illustrative of this; seriously, what can you find that's wrong with the CW Malvern...?

Anyhow, you've gotten one of the nicest modern-era Hammy's ever, and Old Mort is seriously green with envy... alien   Awesome pick-up, my friend!
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by AJC 2013-07-12, 09:30

*Added one more picture and information about the dimensions and crystal material. I believe it's final now. I wanted to post the first draft here and give this forum a sneak preview into my first review in close to a year. I know you guys just couldn't wait...

Sleep 
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Post by Ocean 2013-07-12, 11:33

Very sharp. To me a Hammy is a yes or no, this being a yes. Great write up thanks for posting it.
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by mrneddles 2013-07-12, 14:41

Thumbs up, way up!
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by AJC 2013-07-15, 15:58

Thanks everyone!
AJC
AJC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down