WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos

4 posters

Go down

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos Empty A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos

Post by Mortuus 2014-03-28, 00:28

The Same Models in All Colors - Genius or Mental Illness?

A good question.

It has been written numerous times in this very storied website of ours that buying multiples of the same models in different colors is the provenance of Geeks, Fuzzy Bunnies and Shop HQ aficionados.  However, from what I've been able to glean over the last two-plus years here, such sentiments have usually been aimed at those who buy multiple colors of the same Invicta model.  Or Stauer.  Or Stuhrling.  And so on, A to Z in the world of horological geekery and miscreanthood.

So, having said all that, I'd like to introduce you to a recent NOS acquisition of mine from a company that I personally hold in high esteem, a watch of such high quality and excellent appearance that I own four other shades of the same model (actually, it's three for me and one -- in a lovely shade of uber pale pink -- for Mrs. Mort, AKA the lovely and gracious Morticia Praesepultus).

Here t'is:

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0987_zpsa730421b

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0977_zps029df0aa

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0972_zps0df26f73

The color, according to the good folks at Seagull, is listed as "Rose," and it comes in a sunray finish that makes it do really cool things, depending on which angle you're looking -- or photographing -- from.  It can go from a beautiful, darkish rose color, like so:

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0984_zpsfe0d8363

To a lighter, more brightly-reflecting pinkish hue, like so:

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0979_zpsd41cf1b5

Or, if you're looking for a more dramatic pantone shift (or, more precisely, if you think the presence of my hand in the second of the above two shots made a difference), let's try these two:

This...
A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0976_zps8a20d7db

To this...
A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0978_zps144ae31b

Then, of course, there's the heretofore unmentioned nylon strap I chose to adorn this particular watch with.  Why on earth, Mort, I can almost hear some of you thinking -- either that, or I need stronger psychotrophic meds due to the voices in my head being back -- would you choose a color combo like that one?

An excellent question, truth to tell, that I'll do my doggonedest to answer.

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0001_zps96ee2edb

At first blush -- if you'll pardon something of an obvious pun, given the colors involved  Wink -- even I wondered what in H-E-Double-Hockey-Sticks I was thinking; I mean, it really didn't look like it would match anything, unless it was the world's ugliest watch.

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0005_zps7ef66f01

When I first began looking for a suitable strap for this rather unusual color, I started off thinking that I was going to have to limit myself to either a maroon NATO (or other suitable nylon) or a leather strap in the same dark red hue.  Trouble was, the single-color NATOs always look boring to me, and the leather examples were either (1) not subtly colored enough or (2) too danged expensive to attach to a watch that was, however beautiful, only $55 USD at checkout.  Besides, I just kept coming back to that same doggoned odd -- but compellingly right, somehow -- color combo:

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0006_zpsc8ddb925

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0007_zps5d7b5174

And that's when I really began to think about how the dial wasn't just one, simple color, but rather a combination of pinks, rose and maroons that appeared in different lighting situations, and often appeared in the same photo, if the lighting conditions were correct.

A nice mix of pink, maroon and rose...
A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0975_zps2493cfe6

...and another such mix, albeit a bit more subtle.
A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0966_zps956ae84b

The reason I kept coming back to that strap for this watch is because the resident dial colors actually seem to straddle the two red-based offerings on either side of the strap, while the similar-proportioned green stripe down the middle made a nice 'divider' (um, if you will) between the pink and Maroon hues.

Huh?

Yeah, me too, and I'm the guy who wrote that semi-convoluted piece of word-smithery.  Let's go with the picture's-worth-a-thousand-words method, shall we?

Please pardon the amateurish photo-shopping; what I lack in skills, I like to think I make up for with genuine enthusiasm...
A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0006-5_zpsee7c0042

Ultimately, this was the concept that made me go with the above strap.  (Of course, if you're color blind, then the last few paragraphs and all the pictures will make absolutely NO sense to you, but c'est le mort...)

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos Blk-Gull-04_zps9e518654

Finally, by way of wrapping things up, this watch, like its other-colored siblings, offers the amazing Seagull ST5, the iconic vintage movement in many excellent Seagull models from yesteryear.

Ain't it purty...?
A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos Blk-Gull-07_zpsfaafd658

As usual, please allow me to thank you for taking the time to read through another of my longish watch introductions/photo essays; time is a priceless commodity, and I thank you for spending some of yours on this post.  And, as always, comments are welcome, be they positive, negative or somewhere in between.

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0977_zps029df0aa

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos SAM_0968_zps6567f24d

What a Face 
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos Empty Re: A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos

Post by gregl515 2014-03-30, 10:02

At 55 bucks each for this quality, you'd be crazy not to get them. You've convinced me to try one if I can find a trusted seller.

gregl515

Back to top Go down

A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos Empty Re: A Seagull ST5 of a DIFFERENT Color @Casa de Muertos

Post by Mortuus 2014-03-30, 16:34

gregl515 wrote:At 55 bucks each for this quality, you'd be crazy not to get them.  You've convinced me to try one if I can find a trusted seller.
Greg, I highly recommend the eBay seller known as *a*a*a*a*a*  Here's a look at what he's got in Seagulls:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_armrs=1&_ssn=*a*a*a*a*a*&_trksid=p2046732.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xseagull&_nkw=seagull&_sacat=0&_from=R40

I have had nothing but EXCELLENT service and items from this gentleman, and you can feel very safe bidding with him.  Please let me know if you've any questions or comments; I'll do whatever I can to help.

He's got a grey-dialed ST5 that's looking really interesting...hmmmmm.

What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ocean 2014-03-30, 19:53

Mort ah I mean Mr. Seagull another great pickup.
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2014-03-30, 21:44

Ocean wrote:Mort ah I mean Mr. Seagull another great pickup.
Many thanks, Mr. O!  What a Face 
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by wottime 2014-04-02, 22:23

Nice find. You have a most diverse collection of watches. You about have me swayed to picking up a Seagull. Great write up and your pics are getting better every time you post something new. Now I see your master plan. Buy more watches to justify increasing your photography skill. More watches = more pics. Brilliant.
wottime
wottime

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2014-04-02, 22:43

wottime wrote:Nice find. You have a most diverse collection of watches. You about have me swayed to picking up a Seagull. Great write up and your pics are getting better every time you post something new.  Now I see your master plan. Buy more watches to justify increasing your photography skill. More watches = more pics. Brilliant.
Shhh...Mrs. Mort will find out, and the dead guy really will be the dead guy.   Shocked 

As always, many thanks for your very kind words, wotts; such feedback as that is one of the best things about doing the write-ups.

In the meantime, you might want to take a look at this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-Stock-Brand-New-China-Seagull-19-Jewels-Manual-Mens-Watch-/231122660626?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item35cffbed12#ht_8271wt_1165

I asked the seller about the dial color, and he indicated that it was a dark grey/light black.  I love how translations come through from Chinese to English...oh, and he [/I]does[/I] have other colors, eh-wotts.  What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down