WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay

3 posters

Go down

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay Empty My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay

Post by Mortuus 2014-02-11, 02:45

Hello, all, and welcome to yet another edition of "Mort's New-to-Me Follies," this one showing off my NOS Seagull with the 'root beer' brown-colored dial.  I already had the black NOS version, which looks pretty doggoned cool with a nice black leather strap, but when I caught a gander at the very unique shade of brown on this particular Seagull, there was no doubt in my military mind that I had to have it.  And, given its $55 USD price tag, I figured that even Mrs. Mort wouldn't have any problem with such a nice purchase...of course, like about 99% of married men, I made a miscalculation with that particular bit of thought processing, but what the hey; some things just remain in stasis, like the reassuring presence of Jupiter and Mars in the night sky.

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-09_zps3b448618

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-11_zps64c677d9

Despite its diminutive case size (34.5mm wide X 42mm lug to lug), it looks pretty damned fine when you open up its little glassine envelope and see it for the first time; and odds are pretty much 50/50 that you'll see something like the above photo or the one below just before you retrieve it from its little cocoon.

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-13_zpsbb0b2e8b

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-12_zpsfbc94dd0

There's just something special about the way Seagull puts these together.  They waste no opportunity to add any pleasing-to-the-eye detail that they can.  Everything about the case, from the amazing 'root beer' brown dial -- with the blood red little dot on the seconds hand and the blue-filled Seagull logo -- to the sides and back is superbly detailed and very, very easy on the eyes.

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-14_zpsdddad610

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-16_zps8ed11a3a

Of course, any WIS worth his salt is going to want to see the 'innards,' so I have conveniently added the above and below pictures for your perusal.  As I mentioned in my previous Seagull photo essay, the ST5 mechanical movement is truly iconic to those who enjoy Chinese Horology, and it has even earned its chops among those who are skeptical of anything watch-related that comes from the PRC.  They even threw in a nice anti-magnetic inner movement cover to keep the movement from getting, well, magnetized.

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-15_zpsdb20cefb

Yeah, that's all great stuff, Mort, but what kind of bracelet -- or strap -- did you end up with on said-same Seagull with the 'root beer' brown dial...?  Interestingly, when I bought this beautiful little piece of Chinese watchery, I thought it would be an easy task to match it up with a nice strap, something in leather, or even something in nylon, like the NATO brand of band.  After a couple of days worth of shrugged shoulders and ever-deepening reading-glass pinch-marks on the bridge of my nose, I came to the conclusion that anything with a monochromatic appearance and style was pretty much a non-starter.  That put the ball firmly in the NATO strap's court.  Of course, even that search was a long one, with a couple of 'almost-buys' in there for good measure, but ultimately, I found the strap that 'popped' off the screen -- and smacked me around a few times, just for good measure, too...

Here t'is:

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-06_zps4825b0be

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-05_zps1f6e5a0c

The brown was, of course, a near-perfect match, but the two 'turquoisy' (hmmm, spell-check says I just created a new word...how's about that, eh...?) blue stripes really caught my eye, even matching, to a certain extent, the pale blue 'fill' coloring in the Seagull logo below the dial's 12 o'clock position.  And, as a finishing touch, there's a thinner -- but still cool-looking -- orange stripe down the center that, while it doesn't match much of anything on the watch, still adds a very nice visual-balancing touch.  As the late/great John Lennon used to say, "I like that."

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay A58116be-64ba-4d9f-b775-3a7298204752_zps62e3dfbb

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-07_zps8887041f

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-02_zps1b795ecd

And, of course, like most NATO straps, it's very comfortable and very light on the wrist...which is sort of a redundant statement, I suppose, but what-the-hey; whose essay is it, anyway, right?

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-03_zpsc1849bd1

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-04_zps3f76dd12

So there you have it, fellow Watch Forumiters; the 'root beer' brown-colored dial-wearing, ST5 movement-sporting, New-Old-Stock Seagull Men's Mechanical Watch, complete with colorful NATO/OTAN strap.

Now, I'm sure at least a couple of you are saying, 'That's all well and good, Mort, but are you gonna tap out a photo essay/review every doggoned time you pick up another color of the NOS Seagull w/ST5 movement?'

Hmmm...I dunno.  How does a 'loose maybe' sound?  Dang...there's those crickets again.

Oh well, as I always say, thanks for dropping by for a look.  It means a lot to this old, greying Skyhawk...

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay SG-RB-08_zps6b0698cc
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay Empty Re: My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay

Post by gregl515 2014-02-16, 13:24

Everything from a Rolex to a $55.00 Seagull!

gregl515

Back to top Go down

My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay Empty Re: My New NOS Seagull - 'Root Beer' Dial Version: A Photo Essay

Post by Mortuus 2014-02-16, 17:11

gregl515 wrote:Everything from a Rolex to a $55.00 Seagull!
That, to me, is what collecting's all about...trouble is, a lot of the watches in between those two are not-so-good...  No 
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by wottime 2014-02-21, 22:57

Fun little watch. For $55, it packs a little punch. That " root beer" color is versatile and looks great with that NATO.
wottime
wottime

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2014-02-21, 23:32

wottime wrote:Fun little watch. For $55, it packs a little punch.   That " root beer" color is versatile and looks great with that NATO.
Thank you, wotts!  This one really is a win-win, and I really enjoy wearing it.   What a Face
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down