WATCHFORUMS.ORG
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD

+4
fatman
mrneddles
Maestro
DBCooper
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD Empty The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD

Post by DBCooper 2012-05-02, 15:41

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD Renato15
DBCooper
DBCooper
Founder

Back to top Go down

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD Empty Just be fuckin' honest for a change.

Post by Maestro 2012-05-02, 17:25

That statement reads like a politician wrote it.

Rather than be up front about the reality of why they are closing the forum, they make up a bunch of shit that only a fool would believe.

"the new era of social media and incredible technology"

What the hell is the internet?

I just hate being treated like a chump.
Maestro
Maestro
Founder

Back to top Go down

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD Empty Re: The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD

Post by Guest 2012-05-02, 18:34

Maestro, in your opinion, why are they shutting it down?
I must be a fool, because I believe their reasoning.
Why? Because the forum never really took off. It seemed as if they wanted to get back into social media, but didn't really know where to start. So, they went back to the "forum" and soon realized it wasn't working.

Back to top Go down

The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD Empty Re: The official Renato Forum (renatogeeks.com) is DEAD

Post by mrneddles 2012-05-02, 20:18

It is always somewhat disappointing to see a forum close up. Many folks are averse to FB and Twitter, so it leaves them out of the new information loop.
mrneddles
mrneddles
Founding Member & Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman 2012-05-02, 21:43

Renatogeeks 2.0 went down quicker than a $5 hooker...oh wait that was renatogeeks 1.0 the 2.0 version went down quicker than a $2 hooker.
fatman
fatman
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-02, 21:48

It really was a horrible forum. I don't think it'll be missed by many.

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman 2012-05-02, 21:58

Savvy avvi is being way to transparent about her agenda. I know she is supposed to shill the product/ brand but to suddenly join a few forums just before the shlop relaunch and then open the sales forum again is just horrible. Epic fail!

It could have and should have been thought out a little more clearly.

A perfectly good sales tool pissed down the drain...I am sure mzb won't be happy but who knows...maybe twitted and bookface will sell more timepieces for them.

I just don't think avvi is as savvy as her new nickname may suggest. A pretty smile and nice rack won't get you everywhere.
fatman
fatman
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-02, 22:14

Actually, facebook and twitter are real good marketing tools.
I enjoy forums, because I'm old school, but the more common social platforms are taking over. It's an evolution and we'll all have to adjust to it sooner or later, I think.
With that said, I have full confidence Neddles (with our help) will make this the one-stop-shop for Renato info good and bad. I'm looking forward to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by mrneddles 2012-05-02, 22:24

Stormchaser wrote: I have full confidence Neddles (with our help) will make this the one-stop-shop for Renato info good and bad. I'm looking forward to it.

Will do my best. "Fair and Even" is what I'm shooting for.
mrneddles
mrneddles

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman 2012-05-02, 23:03

He will keep the bullies and trolls out and I have been doing my part to help on that Wink

Mrneddles is a great guy to run this forum.
fatman
fatman
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Maestro 2012-05-03, 00:37

Stormchaser wrote:Maestro, in your opinion, why are they shutting it down?
I must be a fool, because I believe their reasoning.
Why? Because the forum never really took off. It seemed as if they wanted to get back into social media, but didn't really know where to start. So, they went back to the "forum" and soon realized it wasn't working.
I don't know why it shut down. I assume it was due to mismanagement. Whatever reason the forum failed they should admit to it, publicly. They don't need to go into specific details. Everyone knows Renato has had management issues. They should say that going to Facebook is an attempt to better meet the needs of their "supporters", because the forum, for whatever reason, wasn't doing it. Admit that the forum failed and they are moving on, rather than giving the impression the decision was made irregardless of how the forum was doing.

It just rubs me the wrong way. If the forum was doing well, I doubt they'd be pushing Facebook and twitter to this extent. Of course this is nothing more than my opinion. I'm not a business person, thank god. Perhaps it's a business faux pas to admit to the public when something fails, even though it's obvious.
Maestro
Maestro
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Mortuus 2012-05-03, 02:41

Maestro wrote:If the forum closed because it never really took off, then they should say so. Say that going to Facebook is an attempt to better meet the needs of their "supporters", because the forum wasn't doing it. Admit that the forum failed and they are moving on, rather than giving the impression the decision was made irregardless of how the forum was doing.

It just rubs me the wrong way. If the forum was doing well, I doubt they'd be pushing facebook and twitter. Of course this is nothing more than my opinion.

What you say makes complete sense to me, Maestro. Of course, I keep coming back to the way Avi "handled" the mini-controversy of supposed trolls from WL stirring the pot on RG. Ultimately, she took the mongo-like course of indiscriminately banning a number of "suspicious" members, including our very own Fearless Leader ( What a Face ), Mrneds. I recall reading a post by one of their dissatisfied members who expressed the opinion that most of the members of the original RG's wouldn't bother with the new site, but would stay on Facebook where they already were. (Emphasis mine.) So maybe Avi & company are coming to them instead of the other way around; the situation does, after all, have sort of a desperate feel to it for them.

I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I'm not very tech savvy, so I don't truly understand the implications involved in this "move" to Facebook and Twitter; nonetheless, the timing is a bit suspect here. IMHO, something shady seems to be happening. confused

Oh, almost forgot; I'd like to echo the comments above about our admin/moderator/majordomo. Neds, you're doing a terriffic job, and I like the "Fair and Even" policy you're looking to follow. It's really cool to be in on the ground floor at a place like this forum, and I'm looking forward to seeing it grow and mature.
Mortuus
Mortuus
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bigedsurf 2012-05-03, 06:45

I don't Twit or Bookface, nor do i intend to. I think the biggest reason they went the route of ending RG's was the utter stupidity of some of their own supporters. A select few went after WL members whenever and whatever they posted.

The shilltress saw she couldn't control it and precipitated the move and demise. From what i saw for the most part WL members took the high road on this phase of RG 2.......... JMHO

Last edited by bigedsurf on 2012-05-03, 07:25; edited 1 time in total
bigedsurf
bigedsurf
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bigedsurf 2012-05-03, 06:48

Oh yes and as a postscript, kudos to you Dave for an excellent job as Admin. This forum will last one hell of a lot longer than RG'S.............
bigedsurf
bigedsurf
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Hater 2012-05-03, 07:56

Agree with above, the RG "supporters" there are the ones that caused RG demise (and I'm laughing my ass off !!!!!).

For you RenatoGeek lurkers, you made your own bed.

Twit & FB are for teen age girls......
Nuff said
Hater
Hater
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-03, 09:39

How so? The only supporter that I saw who acted like a dbag was that six2twelve guy. The rest seemed genuinely interested in keeping the forum active and alive.
He and a few other guys seemed to be the biggest nuisances on the forum, with all of their childish back and forth bullshit.

I use both Twitter and Facebook and the last time I checked, I was an adult male. I don't understand the hate. Have you ever used either platform?

Back to top Go down

Post by mrneddles 2012-05-03, 10:00

I was initially resistant to FB, but eventually caved and signed up. I have been able to reconnect with many old friends, which has been a personal benefit.

Twitter just seems like too much chatter with very little meaningful content, so I have avoided it.
mrneddles
mrneddles

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-03, 10:33

I use twitter as a form of newsfeed. I monitor companies, people, products that I'm interested in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-03, 16:10

Mortuus wrote: Of course, I keep coming back to the way Avi "handled" the mini-controversy of supposed trolls from WL stirring the pot on RG. Ultimately, she took the mongo-like course of indiscriminately banning a number of "suspicious" members, including our very own Fearless Leader ( What a Face ), Mrneds.

Hi Mortus - Avi didn't ban anyone but spammers. There was a glitch in the system that unfortunately ended up banning a few people for whatever reason. Prior to me taking the moderator job there, Koi had told me mrneddles was banned and then I had corresponded with mrneddles about it. When I mentioned it to Avi she told me to immediately take the ban off as it was a glitch. I had just "unbanned" mrneddles right before the forum ended up shutting down.

What you see as their reason for shutting down is for the most part accurate but it was also due to the amount of time it was going to take to get the forum up and running to where it should have been and building up a fan base. MZB was the final decision maker in closing down the forum as it was their forum.

Back to top Go down

Post by DBCooper 2012-05-03, 21:25

In ref. to watch companies:

Facebook will never take the place of watch forums. These companies don't want to interact and don't really want you to say anything either. That is why they chose Facebook. All they want is you to like their page.

In ref. to individual groups:

I'm sure groups like Renato Geeks work fine. It's a small (closed) group of Renato fanbois. It's easy to make a small group work in a total control atmosphere. Hell, is there really any difference between Renato Geeks on Facebook and Watchgeeks?
DBCooper
DBCooper
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Ocean 2012-05-03, 21:45

I told Avi what I thought on RG of her sneek peeks on twitter. Asked her what was the point of having a forum? Tinman you might be right but I think Avi had a plan going in to Renato's first Shop show by hitting all the forum a week before.
Ocean
Ocean

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-03, 22:42

I'm a member of the RG Facbook Group and it's not all fanbois, trust me. There's PLENTY of serious critics in there.
Not everyone gushes over every watch or every word spoken by Renato.
In fact, there has been quite a few occasions where members in that group have downright bashed Renato on many issues. No banning takes place and no name calling childish bullshit takes place either. It's actually a well ran group.
It's a closed group, from what I understand, because they didn't want trollish behavior. I think that's understandable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hater 2012-05-04, 07:21

Hater wrote:Agree with above, the RG "supporters" there are the ones that caused RG demise (and I'm laughing my ass off !!!!!).

Nuff said

I'm not one to "like" too many people or places, not much of a "socialite" either.

I also couldn't imagine "chatting" with the likes of a billy smith, spinner, 6to12, or 90% of the other fanboi's that were from a defunct forum (x2).

Still lol!

Hater
Hater
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by bigedsurf 2012-05-04, 07:31

Hater wrote:
Hater wrote:Agree with above, the RG "supporters" there are the ones that caused RG demise (and I'm laughing my ass off !!!!!).

Nuff said

I'm not one to "like" too many people or places, not much of a "socialite" either.

I also couldn't imagine "chatting" with the likes of a billy smith, spinner, 6to12, or 90% of the other fanboi's that were from a defunct forum (x2).

Still lol!

Bingo........
bigedsurf
bigedsurf
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 2012-05-04, 09:06

I'm seeing a lot of negativity toward members of other forums. I can understand six2twelve, but why the hate for the other guys?
I never saw anything on the RG forum that would warrant such.
Maybe I'm ill-informed. Can someone enlighten me?
I'm trying to look at things objectively and not jump on any sort of "I hate those guys or I hate this" mentality. I just don't roll that way.

We're supposed to be "Fair and Even". Right?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next